Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Bitsy Nest A Big Girl's Dollhouse


So the kids are grown...and I play with miniatures (so fun). Now that Bitsy Nest has a large selection of dollhouse miniatures to choose from, I thought it was about time to share some of my miniature projects.
My Dollhouse

A work in progress (sort of a never ending project in fact). I was lucky enough to find this dollhouse at my local dollhouse shop (few and far between these days, only 90 in the United States in fact). Lots of space, already put together, wallpapered and wired. Ready to decorate :O). 

Sorry you can't see the front of the house in these pictures, there is a wrap around porch perfect for warm Spring nights, long chats and sweet tea drinking. I'll try to get pictures of the porch soon. 

The Kitchen

The first room I decorated was the kitchen. I'm definitely not a cook, but I do love vintage and quickly went to work painting a 1950's retro kitchen set for my kitchen. 


To help lighten my kitchen after painting the appliances, I distressed a round table and chair set and added Blue and Pink roses to the backs of the chairs. Love the little cottage, shabby chic look of them. 

In the corner of the kitchen I have a metal baker's rack filled with copper pots and pans, a vintage coffee grinder, a few dishes and a pretty fern (definitely looks a lot healthier then the ferns I try to grow). 

The newest additions to my kitchen include these precious hand crocheted pot holders. Inside the hutch are some food items along with brightly colored nesting bowls and dog treats.  I love these minis, and try to keep them stocked in the shop. 



A pretty plant in a terracotta pot hangs from the window near my refrigerator and under it is the perfect size side table, complete with a bottom shelf and storage baskets. The table is currently decorated with wrapping supplies and a tiny decorated Christmas tree. 

On the fridge is a Blue kitchen scale (another one of my favorite pieces). My "real" kitchen is filled with vintage scales, so this was a must have item for my dollhouse. 

The handmade braided Pink and Brown Rug under my kitchen table is also one of my favorite accessories. It moves from room to room depending on my mood. 


The kitchen table always has something new on it (don't all kitchen tables). Right now it holds a plate of cupcakes on a pretty glass domed cake stand. 







 The Foyer/Entry Way



To the right of the front door is a vintage mirror and hall table, I painted and distressed. It's the perfect place for your keys and purse when you walk in. The bottom shelf holds books today, but who knows what I'll put there tomorrow. 

I love birds and birdhouses, so this little distressed birdhouse on the hall table is another favorite mini of mine. 

Under the stairs to the left of the door is a hat/coat rack along with a vintage phone table, the perfect place to sit and put on your shoes. 


I've started decorating for Christmas (slowly but surely). The garland is on the staircases and fireplaces. 
The Living Room

My dollhouse came with two built in fireplaces, one here in the living room and another in the master bedroom.  To the left of the fireplace I hung vintage style framed bird pictures and added a pretty rose flower arrangement. Inside the fireplace (for now) site three pillar candles



I'm still trying to decide whether or not to paint them along with the buffet that holds my Blue birdcage (complete with Yellow Canary).







The Christmas tree has replaced my dining room set for the holidays, but I don't mind. The large hutch on the dining room wall was lots of fun to paint and distress. After it was finished I couldn't wait to add lots of pretty porcelain dishes. I'll be decorating it for Christmas this week though (I hope anyway).

The Master Bedroom

I painted and distressed a simple wood double bed, Blue and added a beautiful handmade bedding set in Pink. The bed is currently holding presents and the family Yorkie


Above the bed I hung a wall shelf and filled it with perfume bottles, tissues and a distressed bird picture. 

On the sides I hung two pretty oval floral pictures and hung a sweet handmade straw bag from the side hook. 


A beautiful handmade armoire sits next to the built in fireplace and in the corner sits the Yorkie's bed and leash. On the mantle I added pretty porcelain vases and a porcelain mantle clock










The dresser in the corner was also hand painted and the Blue couch next to it was found in a clearance bin. Love it! Its looks like the perfect to curl up with your favorite book or knit








The Craft Room

This room goes through lots of changes. Since vintage knitting and sewing items are another favorite collectible of mine, I've had this room filled with them off and on. Currently my sewing machine is in storage to show off the sweet handmade couch and pillow under the window another cozy place to knit, crochet or read a good book. 


The fabric filled cabinet was a birthday gift from my husband and the ironing board was a handmade piece I couldn't walk away from. I love the birdhouse, nest and pretty hydrangea. It sits under vintage advertising signs I made the first week I got the house. 




These stairs also have garland and sitting on the pretty trunk is one of my teeny airplants.
 The Bathroom

This room was done in no time. I wanted pretty, simple, porcelain bathroom pieces.



I added the tiny shelf above the toilet. It holds toilet tissue and tiny shampoo bottles

The pretty lace chair was another find off of a clearance table. All I had to do to bring it back to life was add pretty guest towels and put it under the sunny window. 


Across from the window, I added a vintage style dresser. On one side I added porcelain bathroom accessories and on the other side there is a tray complete with brush, comb and cosmetic jar. Inside the cabinet I hung a soft terry cloth robe. 


















The Nursery

This room is nice and big and seems to be always changing and getting new additions.  The pretty canopy crib was one of the first dollhouse pieces I purchased. I couldn't resist the soft pink ribbons and tiny roses holding back the lacey canopy. 


On the left wall is the changing table, decorated with diapers and ointment. Above it is a simple white shelf filled with baby products. I made the sweet baby bird picture to the left of the shelf. 





















Next to the crib sits a White wire rocking chair with a soft Pink blanket and a sweet teddy bear. 

In the basket beside the chair are three Dr. Seuss books that I remember reading at least a hundred times. 

The tiny bunting hanging from the staircase took me hours to make, but I love how it turned out. 




In the corner of the nursery sits a tiny walker decorated with a baby bottle and rattle. 

The White metal wardrobe matches the rocking chair and holds a handmade dress. Inside the drawer at the bottom I've stashed more tiny diapers. 

The tiny handmade doll in the gift box is one of the nursery's newest additions. 




The Guest Room

Right now the guest room is sort of my catch all room. It's another work in progress and I'm not sure if it will stay a guest room or not.

I added a pretty, single sized, dressed, White Bed and matching nightstand. Next to the bed are sweet hand crocheted slippers and a filled blanket chest. 


Opposite the bed I added a white vanity, mirror and pretty Rose pattern armchair. 














I think that covers all the rooms in my dollhouse, like I said before, it's definitely a work in progress so I hope you'll stop back again to see what's new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment